Judge Awards Family $11 Million After Mother Dies of Kratom Overdose
A Florida judge has awarded the family of a Florida mother $11 million after she collapsed while making breakfast on Father’s Day and died of a kratom overdose. She was only 39 years old at the time of her death. Now, a Florida family is reeling from the loss of their loved one. They blame the death on a kratom overdose.
Kratom is a chemical substance that gives the user an opioid-like high. It acts on opioid receptors in the brain and has been used as a natural folk remedy in Asia for thousands of years. It has recently made its way onto the U.S. market where it is sold as a “natural remedy.” However, some claim that the marketing around the substance obscures many of its dangers.
Kratom is addictive. One of the few uses of the substance is to help addicts control cravings that come from opioid withdrawal.
Right now, there are a couple of different kratom lawsuits that have either been settled or made their way in front of a jury. These lawsuits allege that individuals died suddenly due to mitragynine poisoning. In one case, a father died while he was eating dinner with his family. In the case mentioned above, the plaintiff’s husband found her on the floor of the kitchen next to a cup of coffee and an open package of kratom. The couple’s 14-month-old baby was playing next to his mother’s body when she was discovered. The Palm Beach county coroner ruled the death an accident due to acute mitragynine intoxication.
The substance is widely available on the U.S. market. Some stores sell it to the public as a natural remedy. Now that it is more difficult to get a prescription for opioids, many are using the substance as an alternative to prescription opioids. It can help treat pain, improve your mood, and other claims made. However, potential customers aren’t warned about the addictive properties of kratom. Nor are they being told that kratom can be fatal in higher doses.
As of now, lawsuits have been filed against individual manufacturers in many states. A recent case in the State of Washington was decided in favor of the plaintiff. The aforementioned case took place in Florida. In Georgia, it is common to find kratom products in gas stations. As of now, there is no legislation requiring kratom manufacturers to disclose the negative health impact of kratom on its users. In these cases, potential users are misled that the substance is natural and therefore, safe. Kratom is anything but safe.
Talk to a Tampa Personal Injury Attorney Today
Florin Gray Bouzas Owens, LLC represents the interests of plaintiffs in wrongful death lawsuits filed against kratom manufacturers. With years of experience under our belts, we are qualified to help you recover damages related to the loss of a loved one. We will fight tirelessly to ensure that you are compensated fairly when your loved one dies due to negligence. Call our Tampa personal injury lawyers today to schedule a free consultation, and we can begin discussing your case immediately.